Sunday, November 27, 2016

Surah Ash Shu'ara Notes (69-82)




Source: Ibn Kathir



How the Close Friend of Allah, Ibrahim spoke out against Shirk

 (69) And recite to them the story of Ibrahim (Abraham).

Here Allah tells us about His servant, Messenger and Close Friend, Ibrahim, upon him be peace, the leader of the pure monotheists. Allah commanded His Messenger Muhammad to recite this story to his Ummah so that they could follow this example of sincerity towards Allah, putting one's trust in Him, worshipping Him Alone with no partner or associate, and renouncing Shirk and its people. Allah granted guidance to Ibrahim before, i.e., from a very early age he had denounced his people's practice of worshipping idols with Allah, may He be exalted.



(70) When he said to his father and his people: "What do you worship?"


(When he said to his father and his people: "What do you worship'') meaning: what are these statues to which you are so devoted


(71) They said: "We worship idols, and to them we are ever devoted."


(They said: "We worship idols, and to them we are ever devoted.'') meaning: we are devoted to worshipping them and praying to them.


(72) He said: "Do they hear you, when you call (on them)?



(Do you observe that which you have been worshipping --you and your ancient fathers Verily, they are enemies to me, save the Lord of Al-`Alamin.) meaning, `if these idols mean anything and have any influence, then let them do me any kind of harm, for I am an enemy to them and I do not care about them or think anything of them.'



(73) "Or do they benefit you or do they harm (you)?"


(74) They said: "Nay, but we found our fathers doing so."

(Nay) but we found our fathers doing so.'') They knew that their idols could not do anything, but they had seen their fathers doing this, so they made haste to follow in their footsteps. 

So Ibrahim said to them:


(75) He said: "Do you observe that which you have been worshiping,


(76) "You and your ancient fathers?


(77) "Verily! They are enemies to me, save the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists);



Ibrahim mentions Allah's Kindness towards Him


(78) "Who has created me, and it is He Who guides me


Ibrahim said, "I will not worship any but the One Who does these things:

(Who has created me, and it is He Who guides me.) He is the Creator Who has decreed certain things to which He guides His creation, so each person follows the path which is decreed for him. Allah is the One Who guides whomsoever He wills and leaves astray whomsoever He wills.


(79)And it is He Who feeds me and gives me to drink.

(And it is He Who feeds me and gives me to drink.) He is my Creator Who provides for me from that which He has made available in the heavens and on earth. He drives the clouds and causes water to fall with which He revives the earth and brings forth its fruits as provision for mankind. He sends down the water fresh and sweet so that many of those whom He has created, animals and men alike, may drink from it.

(80) "And when I am ill, it is He who cures me.

(And when I am ill, it is He Who cures me.) Here he attributed sickness to himself, even though it is Allah Who decrees it, out of respect towards Allah. By the same token, Allah commands us to say in the prayer,


(81) "And Who will cause me to die, and then will bring me to life (again);

(And Who will cause me to die, and then will bring me to life.) He is the One Who gives life and causes death, and no one besides Him is able to do that, for He is the One Who originates and repeats.


(82) "And Who, I hope will forgive me my faults on the Day of Recompense, (the Day of Resurrection),"

(And Who, I hope, will forgive me my faults on the Day of Recompense.) means, no one is able to forgive sins in this world or the Hereafter except Him. Who can forgive sins except Allah For He is the One Who does whatever He wills.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Surah Al Baqarah Notes (8-16)

Source: Ibn Kathir

Popular Posts