Sunday, March 6, 2016

Surah Al Isra Notes (1) | The Night of Isra Wal Meraj

( Source: Ibn Kathir )




The Virtues of Surat Al-Isra'


Imam Al-Hafiz Abu `Abdullah Muhammad bin Isma`il Al-Bukhari recorded that Ibn Mas`ud said concerning Surah Bani Isra`il (i.e., Surat Al-Isra'), Al-Kahf and Maryam: "They are among the earliest and most beautiful Surahs and they are my treasure.'' Imam Ahmad recorded that `A'ishah said: "The Messenger of Allah used to fast until we would say, he does not want to break his fast, then he would not fast until we would say, he does not want to fast, and he used to recite Bani Isra'il and Az-Zumar every night.''





Glorified (and Exalted) be He (Allah) [above all that (evil) they associate with Him]  Who took His slave (Muhammad SAW) for a journey by night from Al-Masjid-al-Haram (at Makkah) to the farthest mosque (in Jerusalem), the neighborhood whereof We have blessed, in order that We might show him (Muhammad SAW) of Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.). Verily, He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.

Allah glorifies Himself, for His ability to do that which none but He can do, for there is no God but He and no Lord besides Him.

(Who took His servant for a Journey) refers to Muhammad

(by Night) means, in the depths of the night.

(from Al-Masjid Al-Haram) means the Masjid in Makkah.

(to Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa,) means the Sacred House which is in Jerusalem, the origin of the Prophets from the time of Ibrahim Al-Khalil. The Prophets all gathered there, and he (Muhammad ) led them in prayer in their own homeland. This indicates that he is the greatest leader of all, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him and upon them.

(the neighborhood whereof We have blessed) means, its agricultural produce and fruits are blessed

(in order that We might show him), i.e., Muhammad

(of Our Ayat.) i.e., great signs. As Allah says:

(Verily, He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.) means, He hears all the words of His servants, believers and disbelievers, faithful and infidel, and He sees them and gives each of them what he deserves in this world and the Hereafter. Hadiths about Al-Isra'


The Report of Anas bin Malik

Imam Ahmad recorded that Anas bin Malik said that Malik bin Sa`sa`ah told him that the Prophet of Allah told them about the night in which he was taken on the Night Journey (Al-Isra'). He said:

(While I was lying down in Al-Hatim (or maybe, Qatadah said, in Al-Hijr) 'someone came to me and said to his companion, `The one who is in the middle of these three.' He came to me and opened me.)

I ﴿one of the narrators﴾ heard Qatadah say, `split me - from here to here.' Qatadah said: "I said to Al-Jarud, who was beside me, `What does that mean' He said, `From the top of his chest to below his navel', and I heard him say, `from his throat to below his navel'. The Prophet said:

(He took out my heart and brought a golden vessel filled with faith and wisdom. He washed my heart then filled it up and put it back, then a white animal was brought to me that was smaller than a mule and larger than a donkey.)

Al-Jarud said, `Was this Al-Buraq, O Abu Hamzah' He said, `Yes, and its stride covered a distance as far as it could see.' 

The Prophet said:

(I was mounted upon it and Jibril brought me to the first heaven, and asked for it to be opened. It was said, `Who is this' He said, `Jibril.' It was said, `Who is with you' He said, `Muhammad.' It was said, `Has his Mission started' He said, `Yes.' It was said, `Welcome to him, blessed is the one who comes.' So it was opened for us and when I entered, I saw Adam. (Jibril) said, `This is your father Adam, greet him.' So I greeted him, and he returned the greeting then said, `Welcome to the righteous son and righteous Prophet.' Then I was taken up to the fifth heaven, and (Jibril) asked for it to be opened. It was said, `Who is this' He said, `Jibril.' It was said, `Who is with you' He said, `Muhammad.' It was said, `Has his Mission started' He said, `Yes.' It was said, `Welcome to him, blessed is the one who comes.' So it was opened for us and when I entered, I saw Harun. (Jibril) said, `This is Harun, greet him.' So I greeted him, and he returned the greeting then said, `Welcome to the righteous brother and righteous Prophet.' Then I was taken up to the sixth heaven, and (Jibril) asked for it to be opened. It was said, `Who is this' He said, `Jibril.' It was said, `Who is with you' He said, `Muhammad.' It was said, `Has his Mission started' He said, `Yes.' It was said, `Welcome to him, blessed is the one who comes.' So it was opened for us and when I entered, I saw Musa. (Jibril) said, `This is Musa, greet him.' So I greeted him, and he returned the greeting then said, `Welcome to the righteous brother and righteous Prophet.' When I passed by him, he wept, and it was said to him, `Why are you weeping' He said, `I am weeping because a young man was sent after me and more people from his Ummah than from mine will enter Paradise.' Then I was taken up to the seventh heaven, and (Jibril) asked for it to be opened. It was said, `Who is this' He said, `Jibril.' It was said, `Who is with you' He said, `Muhammad'. It was said, `Has his Mission started' He said, `Yes.' It was said, `Welcome to him, blessed is the one who comes.' So it was opened for us and when I entered, I saw Ibrahim. (Jibril) said, `This is Ibrahim, greet him.' So I greeted him, and he returned the greeting then said, `Welcome to the righteous son and righteous Prophet.' Then I was taken up to Sidrat Al-Muntaha, whose fruits like the clay jugs of Hajar (a region in Arabia) and its leaves were like the ears of elephants. (Jibril) said: `This is Sidrat Al-Muntaha.' And there were four rivers, two hidden and two visible. I said, `What is this, O Jibril' He said, `The two hidden rivers are rivers in Paradise, and the two visible rivers are the Nile and the Euphrates.' Then I was shown Al-Bayt Al-Ma`mur.) 

Qatadah said: Al-Hasan told us narrating from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet saw Al-Bayt Al-Ma`mur. Each day seventy thousand angels enter it, then they never return from it. Then he continued to narrate the Hadith of Anas;

(Then I was brought a vessel of wine, a vessel of milk and a vessel of honey. I chose the milk, and he ﴿Jibril﴾ said, `This is the Fitrah (natural instinct) on which you and your Ummah will be. 

' Then the prayer was enjoined upon me, fifty prayers each day. I came down until I reached Musa, who said, `What did your Lord enjoin upon your Ummah' I said, `Fifty prayers each day.' 

He said, `Your Ummah will not be able to do fifty prayers each day. I tried the people before you, I had to deal with the Children of Israel and it was very difficult for me. Go back to your Lord and ask Him to reduce the burden on your Ummah.' 

So I went back, and the number was reduced by ten. I came back to Musa and he asked, `What were you commanded to do' I said, `Forty prayers each day.' He said, `Your Ummah will not be able to do forty prayers each day. I tried the people before you, I had to deal with the Children of Israel and it was very difficult for me. Go back to your Lord and ask Him to reduce the burden on your Ummah.' 

So I went back, and the number was reduced by ten. I came back to Musa and he asked, `What were you commanded to do' I said, `I was commanded to do thirty prayers each day.' He said, `Your Ummah will not be able to do thirty prayers each day. I tried the people before you, I had to deal with the Children of Israel and it was very difficult for me. Go back to your Lord and ask Him to reduce the burden on your Ummah.' 

So I went back, and the number was reduced by ten. I came back to Musa and he asked, `What were you commanded to do' I said, `Twenty prayers each day.' He said, `Your Ummah will not be able to do twenty prayers each day. I tried the people before you, I had to deal with the Children of Israel and it was very difficult for me. Go back to your Lord and ask Him to reduce the burden on your Ummah.' 

So I went back, and the number was reduced by ten more. I came back to Musa and he asked, `What were you commanded to do' I said, `Ten prayers each day.' He said, `Your Ummah will not be able to do ten prayers each day. I tried the people before you, I had to deal with the Children of Israel and it was very difficult for me. Go back to your Lord and ask Him to reduce the burden on your Ummah.' 

So I went back, and I was commanded to do five prayers every day. I came back to Musa and he asked, `What were you commanded to do' I said, `Five prayers each day.' He said, `Your Ummah will not be able to do five prayers each day. I tried the people before you, I had to deal with the Children of Israel and it was very difficult for me. Go back to your Lord and ask Him to reduce the burden on your Ummah.' 

I said, `I have asked my Lord until I feel too shy. I accept this and submit to Him.' Then a voice called out: `My order has been decreed and I have reduced the burden on My servants.') Similar narrations were recorded in the Two Sahihs.

 Imam Ahmad recorded that `Abdullah bin Shaqiq said: I said to Abu Dharr, "If I had seen the Messenger of Allah , I would have asked him.'' He said, "What would you have asked him'' He said, "I would have asked him, if he saw his Lord'' He said, "I did ask him that, and he said,

(I saw it as light, how could I see Him)'' This is how it was narrated in the report of Imam Ahmad. Muslim recorded that `Abdullah bin Shaqiq said that Abu Dharr said: "I asked the Messenger of Allah , `Did you see your Lord' He said,

(I saw) a light, how could I see Him)'' `Abdullah bin Shaqiq said: I said to Abu Dharr, "If I had seen the Messenger of Allah , I would have asked him.'' He said, "What would you have asked him'' He said, "I would have asked him, `Did you see your Lord'' Abu Dharr said, "I asked him that, and he said, (I saw light.)



The Report of Jabir bin `Abdullah



Imam Ahmad recorded that Jabir bin `Abdullah said that he heard the Messenger of Allah say:

(When Quraysh did not believe that I had been taken on the Night Journey to Bayt Al-Maqdis, I stood up in Al-Hijr and Allah displayed Bayt Al-Maqdis before me, so I told them about its features while I was looking at it.) This was also reported in the Two Sahihs with different chains of narration. According to Al-Bayhaqi, Ibn Shihab said: Abu Salamah bin `Abdur-Rahman said: Some people from Quraish went to Abu Bakr and said, "Have you heard what your companion is saying He is claiming that he went to Bayt Al-Maqdis and came back to Makkah in one night!'' Abu Bakr said, "Did he say that'' They said, "Yes.'' Abu Bakr said, "Then I bear witness that if he said that, he is speaking the truth.'' They said, "You believe that he went to Ash-Sham ﴿Greater Syria﴾ in one night and came back to Makkah before morning'' He said, "Yes, I believe him with regard to something even more than that. I believe him with regard to the revelation that comes to him from heaven.'' Abu Salamah said, from then on Abu Bakr was known as As-Siddiq (the true believer).


 Imam Ahmad also recorded that Ibn `Abbas said: "The Messenger of Allah said:

(On the night when I was taken on the Night Journey, I woke up in Makkah the next morning having anxiety that, I knew that the people would not believe me.) He kept away from people, feeling anxious and sad, then the enemy of Allah Abu Jahl passed by him and came to sit with him, saying mockingly, `Is there anything new' The Messenger of Allah said,

(Yes). He said, `What is it' He said,

(I was taken on a Journey last night.) He said, `Where to' He said,

(To Bayt Al-Maqdis.) He said, `Then this morning you were among us' He said,

(Yes). Abu Jahl did not want to say to his face that he was lying, lest he deny saying it when he called other people to hear him, so he said: `Do you think that if I call your people, you will tell them about what happened' The Messenger of Allah said,

(Yes.) Abu Jahl said, `O people of Bani Ka`b bin Lu'ay!' People got up from where they were sitting and came to join them. Abu Jahl said, `Tell your people what you told me.' The Messenger of Allah said:

(I was taken on a Journey last night.) They said, `Where to' He said,

(To Bayt Al-Maqdis.) They said, `Then this morning you were among us' He said,

(Yes). They began to clap their hands together and put their hands on their heads in astonishment at this "lie'' - as they claimed it to be. They said, `Can you describe the sanctuary to us' Among them were some who had travelled to that land and seen the sanctuary, so the Messenger of Allah said,

(I started to describe it, until I reached a point where I was not sure about some of the details, but then the sanctuary was brought close and placed near the house of `Uqayl - or `Iqal - so I could look at it and describe the details.) I could not remember those description. The people said, `As for the description, by Allah he has got it right.'' This was recorded by An-Nasa'i and Al-Bayhaqi.



The Report of `Abdullah bin Mas`ud
Al-Hafiz Abu Bakr Al-Bayhaqi reported that `Abdullah bin Mas`ud said: "When the Messenger of Allah was taken on the Night Journey, he went as far as Sidrat Al-Muntaha, which is in the sixth heaven. Everything that ascends stops there, until it is taken from that point, and everything that comes down stops there, until it is taken from there.

(When that covered As-Sidrat Al-Muntaha which did cover it!) ﴿53:16﴾ 

Ibn Mas`ud said: "It is covered with gold butterflies. The Messenger of Allah was given the five prayers and the final Ayat of Surat Al-Baqarah, and forgiveness was granted for major sins to those who do not associate anything in worship with Allah.'' This was recorded by Muslim in his Sahih.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surah Al Baqarah Notes (8-16)

Source: Ibn Kathir

Popular Posts