Monday, July 31, 2017

Surah Al Ahqaf Notes (8-15)


Source: Ibn Kathir
(8) Or say they: "He (Muhammad SAW) has fabricated it." Say: "If I have fabricated it, still you have no power to support me against Allah. He knows best of what you say among yourselves concerning it (i.e. this Quran)! Sufficient is He for a witness between me and you! And He is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful."

(Or they say: "He has fabricated it.'' ) They are referring to Muhammad. Allah responds saying,

(Say: "If I have fabricated it, you have no power to support me against Allah...'') which means, `if I lie against Allah and falsely claim that He sent me when He actually had not, then He would punish me with a severe punishment. No one on the earth -- you or anyone else -- would then be able to protect me from Him.' 

It is similar to Allah's saying,

(Say: "None can protect me from Allah, nor would I find a refuge except in Him. (My duty) is only to convey from Allah and (deliver) His Messages. '') (72:22-23) Allah says,

(And if he made up a false saying concerning Us, We surely would have seized him by the right hand. Then we would have cut off his life artery. And none of you could withhold Us from (punishing) him.) (69:44-47) 
Thus, Allah says here,

(Say: "If I have fabricated it, still you have no power to support me against Allah. He knows best of what you say among yourselves concerning it (i.e. this Qur'an)! Sufficient is He as a witness between me and you!...'') This is a severe threat, intimidation, and warning for them. 

Allah then says,

(And He is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.) This is an encouragement for them to repent and turn to Allah. It means, `despite all of this, if you turn back and repent, Allah will accept your repentance, pardon you, forgive you, and have mercy upon on.' This is similar to Allah's saying in Surat Al-Furqan,

(And they say: "(This Book is) legends of the ancients that he has written down, and they are dictated to him morning and afternoon.'' Say: "It has been sent down by the One Who knows every secret within the heavens and the earth. Truly, He is ever Forgiving and Merciful.'') (25:5-6)  


(9) Say (O Muhammad SAW):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of Allah) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner."

(Say: "I am not a new thing among the Messengers...") which means, `I am not the first Messenger who ever came to the world. Rather, Messengers came before me. Therefore, I am not an unprecedented incident that should cause you all to reject me and doubt my being sent to you. Indeed, Allah has sent before me all of the Prophets to various nations.' 

Imam Ahmad recorded that Kharijah bin Zayd bin Thabit, reported that Umm Al-`Ala' -- a woman from the Ansar who had given her pledge of loyalty to Allah's Messenger -- said, "When the Ansar drew lots regarding taking in the Muhajirun to dwell with them, our lot was to have `Uthman bin Maz`un. Later, `Uthman fell sick in our house, so we nursed him until he died, and we wrapped him in his garments (for burial). Allah's Messenger then came in, and I said, `O Abu As-Sa'ib! May Allah have mercy on you. I bear witness that Allah has indeed honored you.' Allah's Messenger asked, (How do you know that Allah has honored him) I said, `I do not know -- may my father and mother both be ransoms for you!' Allah's Messenger then said, (As for him, certainty (death) has reached him from his Lord, and I surely wish well for him. But by Allah, even though I am Allah's Messenger, I do not know what will happen to me (after death).) I then said, `Never will I claim a person to be pious after this.' This incident caused me some distress, and I went to sleep thereafter. I saw in my dream that `Uthman owned a running water spring. I went to Allah's Messenger and told him about that. Allah's Messenger said,
(That was his (good) deeds.)'' Al-Bukhari recorded this Hadith but Muslim did not.

 In one of the narrations, Allah's Messenger said, (Even though I am Allah's Messenger, I do not know what will happen to him.) This and similar texts indicate that it is not allowed to declare that a specific person will enter Jannah except for those who were distinctly indicated by Allah or his Messenger.

(I only follow that which is revealed to me, ) which means, `I only follow what Allah has revealed to me of the revelation.'

(and I am but a plain warner.) meaning, `my warnings are obvious to every person with sound intellect and reason.' And Allah knows best.



The Qur'an is Allah's True Speech and the Position of the Disbelievers and the Muslims towards it


(10) Say: "Tell me! If this (Quran) is from Allah, and you deny it, and a witness from among the Children of Israel ('Abdullah bin Salam) testifies that this Quran is from Allah [like the Taurat (Torah)], so he believed (embraced Islam) while you are too proud (to believe)." Verily! Allah guides not the people who are Zalimun (polytheists, disbelievers and wrong-doing).

Allah says,

(Say) meaning, `O Muhammad to these idolators who disbelieve in the Qur'an.'

(Tell me! If it was) meaning, this Qur'an.

(from Allah, and you disbelieved in it) meaning, `what do you think that Allah will do to you if this Book that I have come to you with is actually revealed to me from Him in order that I convey it to you, and yet you disbelieve in it and deny it

((at the same time), a witness from among the Children of Israel has testified to something similar) meaning, `the previous Scriptures that were revealed to the Prophets before me all testify to its truthfulness and authenticity. They have prophesied, well in advance, about things similar to that which this Qur'an informs of.' Concerning Allah's statement,

(and believed) `this person who testified to its truthfulness from the Children of Israel, due to his realization that it was the truth.'

(while you rejected (the truth)!) `whereas you have arrogantly refused to follow it.' Masruq said: "That witness believed in his Prophet and Book, while you disbelieved in your Prophet and Book.''

(Verily, Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people.) The witness here refers to any witness in general. It includes `Abdullah bin Salam and other from them as well. For indeed, this Ayah was revealed in Makkah before `Abdullah bin Salam had accepted Islam.




(11) And those who disbelieve (strong and wealthy) say of those who believe (weak and poor): "Had it (Islamic Monotheism to which Muhammad SAW is inviting mankind) been a good thing, they (weak and poor) would not have preceded us thereto!" And when they have not let themselves be guided by it (this Quran), they say: "This is an ancient lie!"

(And those who disbelieve say of those who believe: "Had it been good, they (the weak and poor) would not have preceded us to it!'') which means that those who disbelieve say of those who believe in the Qur'an: "Had it (the Qur'an) been any good, they (the weak and poor) would not have preceded us to it!'' By that, they meant Bilal, `Ammar, Suhayb, Khabbab, may Allah be pleased with them, and others like them of the weak, the male servants, and female servants. The pagans said this only because they thought that they held a high status with Allah and that He took special care of them. By that, they made a great and obvious error, as Allah says:

(Thus have We tried some of them with others, that they might say: "Is it these whom Allah has favored from among us'') (6:53) meaning, they wonder how could those weaklings be the ones who were guided from among them. 

Thus, Allah says,

(Had it been good, they (the weak and poor) would not have preceded us to it!) Contrary to this is the position of Ahl us-Sunnah wal-Jama`ah: They say about any act or saying that has not been reported from the Companions: "It is an innovation. If there was any good in it, they would have preceded us in doing it, because they have not left off any of the good characteristics except that they hurried to perform them.'' Allah continues,

(And when they have not been guided by it,) meaning, the Qur'an.

(they say: "This is an ancient falsehood!'') meaning, an old lie. They mean by this that the Qur'an has been quoted and taken from the ancient people, thereby belittling the Qur'an and its followers. This is clear arrogance, as Allah's Messenger said: ((Arrogance is) rejecting the truth and belittling the people.) 


(12) And before this was the Scripture of Musa (Moses) as a guide and a mercy. And this is a confirming Book (the Quran) in the Arabic language, to warn those who do wrong, and as glad tidings to the Muhsinun

(And before this was the Scripture of Musa) and it was the Tawrah.

(as a guide and mercy. And this is a Book) meaning, the Qur'an.

(confirming) meaning, that which came before it of the previous Books.

(in the Arabic tongue,) means that it is eloquent and clear.

(to warn those who do wrong and as glad tidings for the doers of good.) meaning, it contains a warning to the dis- believers and glad tidings for the belie- vers. 


(13) Verily, those who say: "Our Lord is (only) Allah," and thereafter Istaqamu (i.e. stood firm and straight on the Islamic Faith of Monotheism by abstaining from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allah has forbidden and by performing all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained), on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

(on them shall be no fear,) meaning, con-cening their future.

(nor shall they grieve.) meaning, over what they have left behind. Allah continues,


(14) Such shall be the dwellers of Paradise, abiding therein (forever), a reward for what they used to do.

(Such shall be the dwellers of Paradise, abiding therein (forever) -- a reward for what they used to do.) meaning, the deeds are a cause for their attaining the mercy and their being engulfed by it -- and Allah knows best.



Allah's Advice about the Parents

(15) And We have enjoined on man to be dutiful and kind to his parents. His mother bears him with hardship and she brings him forth with hardship, and the bearing of him, and the weaning of him is thirty (30) months, till when he attains full strength and reaches forty years, he says: "My Lord! Grant me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your Favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds, such as please You, and make my off-spring good. Truly, I have turned to You in repentance, and truly, I am one of the Muslims (submitting to Your Will)."

After mentioning that one must confess His Oneness, worship Him with sincerity, and remain upright in obeying Him, Allah follows that by giving instructions regarding the parents. These appear together in many places of the Qur'an, such as Allah's saying,
(Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him and that you be dutiful to your parents.) (17:23) Allah says,
(Be grateful to Me and to your parents. Unto Me is the final destination.) (31:14) 

(And We have enjoined on man to be dutiful and kind to his parents.) meaning, `We have commanded him to treat them well and show compassion towards them. 

Abu Dawud At-Tayalisi recorded from Sa`d bin Abi Waqqas, may Allah be pleased with him, that his mother said to him: "Hasn't Allah commanded that you obey your parents Then I will not eat any food or drink any drink until you disbelieve in Allah.'' Thus she stubbornly abstained from eating and drinking, until they had to open her mouth with a stick. 

Then this Ayah was revealed,

(And We have enjoined on man to be dutiful and kind to his parents. ) This was also recorded by Muslim and the Sunan compilers, except for Ibn Majah. Allah continues,

(His mother bears him with hardship.) which means that the mother suffers hardship because of her children, such as fatigue, sickness, vomiting, heaviness, distress, and other forms of hardship that the pregnant women suffer.

(And she delivers him with hardship.) meaning, she also delivers him with hardship, suffering the pains of labor and their severity.

(And (the period of) his gestation and weaning is thirty months,) `Ali, may Allah be pleased with him, used this Ayah along with the following two Ayat to prove that the minimum period of pregnancy 

(gestation) is six months:

(And his weaning is in two years.) (31:14)

(and his gestation and weaning are thirty months, till when he attains full strength).'' meaning, he becomes strong, youthful, and attains full ability.

(and reaches forty years,) meaning, his complete intellect, understanding, and patience reach the level of maturity. It has also been said that usually, one will not change his ways once he reaches the age of forty.

(he says: "My Lord! Grant me the power and ability) meaning, `inspire me.'

(that I may be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds, such as please You,) meaning, in the future.

(and make my off-spring good.) meaning, my offspring, and descendants.

(Truly, I have turned to You in repentance, and truly, I am one of the Muslims.) This contains an instruction for anyone who reaches forty years of age to renew his repentance and turn to Allah with strong resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surah Al Baqarah Notes (8-16)

Source: Ibn Kathir

Popular Posts