Thursday, December 10, 2015

Surah Hud Notes (87-90)

( Source: Ibn Kathir )



The Response of Shu`ayb's People

 (87) They said: "O Shu'aib! Does your Salat (prayer) (i.e. the prayers which you offer has spoiled your mind, so you) command that we leave off what our fathers used to worship, or that we leave off doing what we like with our property? Verily, you are the forbearer, right-minded!" (They said this sarcastically).

They said to Shu`ayb, in mockery,

(Does your Salah) Al-A`mash said, "This means your reading.''

(command you that we give up what our fathers used to worship,) meaning the idols and statues.

(or that we give up doing what we like with our property) This means, "Should we abandon our practice of lightening the scales because of your statement This is our wealth and we will do with it as we please.'

(or that we give up doing what we like with our property) "They were speaking in reference to the paying of Zakah (charity). 

(Verily, you are the forbearer right-minded!) Ibn `Abbas, Maymun bin Mihran, Ibn Jurayj, Ibn Aslam, and Ibn Jarir all said, "These enemies of Allah were only saying this in mockery. May Allah disfigure them and curse them from ever receiving His mercy. And verily, He did so.''

Shu`ayb's Refutation of His People



(88) He said: "O my people! Tell me, if I have a clear evidence from my Lord, and He has given me a good sustenance from Himself (shall I corrupt it by mixing it with the unlawfully earned money). I wish not, in contradiction to you, to do that which I forbid you. I only desire reform so far as I am able, to the best of my power. And my guidance cannot come except from Allah, in Him I trust and unto Him I repent.

He said to them: Do you see O my people, that if I

(have a clear evidence from my Lord) meaning, upon clear guidance in that which I am calling to.


(and He has given me a good sustenance from Himself.) It has been said that he meant the prophethood. It has also been said that he meant the lawful provisions. It seems that the verse carries both meanings. 

(I wish not, in contradiction to you, to do that which I forbid you.) meaning, `do not forbid you from something and at the same time I contradict my prohibitions in secret behind your backs, doing what I have forbidden.'

(I wish not, in contradiction to you, to do that which I forbid you.) "He is saying, `I do not forbid you all from something while I do it myself.'''


(I only desire reform to the best of my power.) This means, "In that which I command and forbid you, I only want to correct your affair as much as I am able.''

(And my guidance cannot come) This means, "In whatever I intend that agrees with the truth.''

(except from Allah, in Him I put my trust) This means in all of my affairs.

(and unto Him I repent.) meaning; "I return.''


(89) "And O my people! Let not my Shiqaq cause you to suffer the fate similar to that of the people of Nuh (Noah) or of Hud or of Salih (Saleh), and the people of Lout (Lot) are not far off from you!

(And O my people! Let not my Shiqaq cause you) This means, "Do not let your hatred and enmity of me cause you to persist in your corruption and disbelief. If you continue this way, you will suffer the same vengeance and torment that overcame Nuh's people, Hud's people, Salih's people and Lut's people.'' 

(And O my people! Let not my Shiqaq cause you) "He is saying, `Do not be influenced by your differing with me.''' As-Suddi said, "This means your enmity of me should not lead you to continue in misguidance and disbelief, or else you will be afflicted by what afflicted them.'' 

(and the people of Lut are not far off from you!) It has been said that this refers to the period of time. Qatadah said, "This means that they were only destroyed before you yesterday.'' It has also been said that it refers to place. Actually, the verse carries both meanings.




(90) "And ask forgiveness of your Lord and turn unto Him in repentance. Verily, my Lord is Most Merciful, Most Loving."

(And ask forgiveness of your Lord) from the previous sins.


(and turn unto Him in repentance.) In whatever evil actions you may encounter in the future. 

(Verily, my Lord is Most Merciful, Most Loving.) to those who repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Surah Al Baqarah Notes (8-16)

Source: Ibn Kathir

Popular Posts